Welcome to the homepage of the UMass ACM Machine Learning Interest Group!
What is Machine Learning?
Let’s look at Wikipedia’s definition:
Machine learning is a scientific discipline that explores the construction and study of algorithms that can learn from data.
Although an advanced topic, Machine Learning is growing to be one of the most in-demand sciences. With the immense amount of data in the world today, every aspect of life has potential to be improved through Machine Learning.
Below are some applications of Machine Learning:
- Stock Trading and Market Analysis
- Recommender Systems (Netflix, Pandora, Spotify, etc.)
- Natural Language Processing (IBM Watson)
- Bioinformatics (Study of genes that increase likelihood of Cancer)
- Computer Vision (Self-driving Car)
As you can see, Machine Learning is relevant in nearly all fields, from Finance and Banking to Medicine, and even the Entertainment Industry.
Resources to Learn Machine Learning